Call to Artists
The Devils Reign IV: ALL OF THEM WITCHES
We are currently seeking submissions for The Devils Reign IV: ALL OF THEM WITCHES, curated by Peter H Gilmore, High Priest of the Church of Satan. This limited edition hardcover book will feature 144 pages of original artwork, with a focus on tattoo artists and illustrators. There will be a book release party and art show at the end of 2018 at HOWL Gallery/Tattoo in Fort Myers, FL.
A NOTE FROM THE CURATOR
THE DEVILS REIGN: ALL OF THEM WITCHES
“WITCH”—more an accusation than a term, regardless of culture or time period; a word that condemned many to torture and death; the very definition of The Devil’s distaff—the women who swore allegiance to the Forces of Darkness in exchange for forbidden wisdom and the power to heal, seduce or curse. While neopagans from the 1950s onward have adopted this term and done their best to give it a veneer of respectability and beneficence, that is NOT the sort of witches whom we seek to have depicted in our fourth volume of visionary art.
Our title is an homage to a fictional book devised by Ira Levin for reference in his novel ROSEMARY’S BABY. Using her Scrabble tiles and ALL OF THEM WITCHES, an imaginary compendium of historical figures who were deemed to be practicing witchcraft, sorcery and devil worship, Rosemary Woodhouse worked out the anagrams that obscured the identities of her kindly-but-oddball neighbors, the Castevets, revealing them to be the Marcatos—famed pariahs who adored Satan. As with Lovecraft’s THE NECRONOMICON, which was not real, either, but whose title was irresistible, we are drawn to honor the mystique of this mythical volume for our gallery of women who are mistresses of the Black Arts, whether they ensnare you with their sensual allure or smite you with withering blasts of righteous anger.
We thus command and compel you to conjure up those women in league with The Devil who are deeply conversant with all of His works. No “good witches,” no benevolent “Wise Women,” no “fairy folk.” We want imagery of those terrifying sorceresses, those exotic enchantresses, the sort of witches who’d command winged simians to tear you asunder and shatter hourglasses controlling your existence; those who’d smite all who oppose them; they who might turn you into a toad, or should you be male, cause your manhood to fail or flourish; those whom you’d secretly visit in their deep woods cottages for charms, philters and ointments to cater to your darker needs.
Ponder and depict the baleful might of the greatest of witches, from the necromantic Witch of Endor in the Old Testament, to those malefic females found in folklore, literature and cinema haunting your nightmares. We welcome those legendary succubi who ensorcel with their unbridled lust. Let them all manifest in every aspect of their beauty and terror, their eroticism and malignance, and your work will find inclusion in this visual black sabbath we call ALL OF THEM WITCHES.
—Magus Peter H. Gilmore
High Priest, The Church of Satan
1. Eligibility: Anyone over 18 is eligible to submit their own original art.
2. Medium: Full color or black and white artwork. Including: painting, illustration, sketches, photography, and sculpture.
3. Dimensions: There are no restrictions on size of original art included in the book. Portrait orientation is preferred. Work for the book must be digitally uploaded. We cannot accept mailed submissions.
4. Content: All submissions should fit within the context of WITCHES as described in the curator’s note above. Work may be adult in nature. Work should not include any text or logos that are copy written or trademarked.
5. New Work: All work submitted must have been completed within the last 48 months or done specifically for the book. Per artist exceptions may apply.
6. Upload File Requirements: You may submit up to 5 images for possible inclusion. We will publish a maximum of up to 2 full pages of work per artist. All uploaded art must be at least 300 ppi at 9×12 inches (book print size) and saved in JPG, TIF, or PDF format. Images should not exceed 64mb each. Uploaded photos or scans must be professional quality (high-resolution files, at least 2mb or larger). 3 dimensional work should have a black or white background. Blurry or low quality images will deleted. Please understand web vs print pixel dimensions before attempting to send us your art. Ask a friend for help if needed.
Book release exhibition: A group of 20 to 30 pieces will be selected for an initial book release and art show at HOWL Gallery, Fort Myers, FL at the end of 2018. Selected art must be ready to hang with a wire on back, professionally presented and easily shipped. Art on paper and paintings with unfinished edges should be framed (see above for size restrictions). Please be clean and minimal with your choices. Artists selected are responsible for return shipping costs of unsold art. We will contact artists individually if we choose to exhibit your work in the show.
Artist Copies of the Book: Artists accepted into the book will receive a discount code for one book priced below wholesale cost plus shipping. Limit 1 copy per artist. Pre-orders can be signed by the exhibit curator at no additional charge.
Book Release Waiver: The book release waiver at the bottom of the upload form will detail usage rights of the images selected for the book and exhibition. A digital signature is collected at the end of the form. A copy of the book release form will be emailed for your records.
CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD ART